Turn off the message pane (From one of the sub options under the View top line menu). This might help. control arrow works fine for me in either direction with the pane off. I use Control arrow and the arrow keys by themselves to edit, but I also have Thunderbird set to identify misspelled words as I write them. Finally, I use the spell checker to check spelling (Shift/Control +P).