From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Brian Lee
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:47 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] How to get Jaws to announce the name of the column
I am in.

Ed asked specifically for column headers to be announced in Excel 2010.
There are additional directions for creating row header reading or column
and row header reading but the answer I wrote for column header reading is
in keeping with the latest preference from Erick.  The newest copy of "Excel
column and row headers" presented by Erick does not suggest using the JAWS
method any more.  Here is what he says at the beginning of "ExcelColumn and
Row Headers":

"Titles created using the Define Name feature of Excel - These titles are
part of the Excel file itself. This is the newest method of creating headers
for column and row titles. They are created by the author or user of the
workbook so that any subsequent use of the workbook does not require that
you or anyone else need to define them. This uses a built-in feature in
Excel and does not even require having JAWS or MAGic on the computer to
create headers that automatically work for JAWS and MAGic users. The name is
stored within the Excel workbook itself and is therefore independent of
different versions of JAWS and MAGic. In addition, the workbook can be
shared easily among different users without having to re-create the headers
or transfer an ancillary JSI (JAWS Script Initialization) file along with
the workbook.

Titles created using JAWS Quick Settings dialog box - These titles are saved
in a workbook-specific JSI file located in your personal settings folder, a
separate file that is created and has to accompany the workbook everywhere
it goes. If that JSI file is not present, for example when a new version of
JAWS or MAGic is installed, then JAWS or MAGic will not automatically
recognize any column and row headers as titles. Also, if you fail to put the
JSI file in the correct folder on the computer hard drive where JAWS or
MAGic can find it, headers will not read automatically.

As you can imagine, the preferred method of creating titles that read
automatically for all JAWS and MAGic users without having to worry about
transferring a JSI file to the proper location on the computer for each
workbook or for each version of JAWS and MAGic, is to use the Define Name
feature of Excel. In this DAISY book we will use this newer method."

Ed, try to follow the steps for having column headers read that I sent you.
If you have any problem with doing it feel free to contact me.

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianl...@charter.net