From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf
Of Scorpio Forever
Sent: 21 June 2014 20:18
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Alternative way of booting into a computer's BIOS

Hi Folks,

I just got a new laptop, and in my haste to attain the fastest laptop known to
man, I installed a solid state drive in place of the 5400 rpm drive that was
originally installed.

So, with that in mind, I did manage to attain the speeds I was looking for, but
at a cost, for you see, like most laptops today, the manufacturer has switched
the function key settings to their alternate functions, which wouldn’t normally
be a problem, as I could simply go into the BIOS settings and change the
settings around, however, the boot up time with a solid state drive is
practically non-existent.  In fact, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear the
computer simply went to sleep instead of shutting all the way down.  It
literally takes about two or three seconds for the boot up process to finish,
and so I don’t have enough time to boot into the BIOS setup screen to make the
change.

My question then, is if there’s a way to boot into the BIOS instead of having
to press the setup keystroke.

For those who don’t know what the heck I’m talking about...

When you turn on a computer, any computer, pressing a keystroke before Windows
loads will get you into the motherboard settings which will control your
computer from under the hood, so to speak.

Well, with the speed of the boot up, I don’t have time to go into the settings
using the traditional methods, and so I need an alternative way to do this.

I’m using Jaws 15, latest build, Windows 8.1 and an HP Envy laptop.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Scorpio

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take
any action in reliance on its contents:

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff
in England and Scotland
NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information
with NHSmail and GSi recipients
NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be
accessed anywhere