From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2015 1:35 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Jaws not reading the close window icon

Hi Jason,

Here is a tutorial that explains using the Windows Classic theme & Windows
Basic theme for Windows7:

While helping Barb learn a bit more about the icons at the top right hand
corner of most application Windows (Minimize Restore Close), another issue
came up. Gene stated he did not have any such icons at the top right hand
corner of his windows. I asked Gene if he had ever changed the desktop theme
on his Windows7 computer. He stated he had not.

I now feel pretty confident I have solved the mystery of the missing icons.
(Smile).

For any new Windows7 computer users, I strongly, strongly suggest you
consider changing your desktop theme from the default to the Windows
Classic. By making this change, application windows will begin to feel very
much like the older Windows XP windows. I have made this modification as
well as other seasoned Windows7 users problem free. No need to worry as this
change is not permanent, and you can return back to the Windows7 theme if
you feel compelled to do so. When testing my theory I went from Windows
Classic, to the default Windows 7 desktop theme, and back to the desktop
classic theme hassle free.

To determine if you are using the Windows 7 theme simply launch Notepad and
Wordpad. Use the Jaws hotkey to read the top of the window (Insert + Numpad
1 (End key). If you do not hear "Minimize, Restore, Close" or any variation
of, it is very likely you too are using the
Windows7 Desktop theme.

I have typed up the following information to give you and idea of how the
Windows Classic desktop theme can be of some benefit to you.

The new Windows7 theme is a combination of pictures, colors, and sounds on
your computer. It includes a desktop background, a screen saver, a window
border color, and a sound scheme. Some Windows7 customized themes can
include their own desktop icons and mouse pointers. A drawback of these
themes to vision impaired and blind computer users is that these visually
stimulating themes take up resources and do not add the same benefits as
they would to sighted Windows7 users. The following tutorial will help you
make changes that allow for Windows7 to take on the appearance and sounds of
the familiar Windows XP classic theme. As an added benefit, these changes
will also take the desktop out of the Alt + Tab sequence. We will need to go
to the Personalization Dialogue box to make our change from the default
Windows7 theme to the classic Windows theme.

A little warning is in order. The tutorial below may make changes to your
current Windows sound scheme. If you would like to continue using your
current sound scheme with all its familiar sounds, make sure to save it or
at the very least make a note of its name so you can restore it after the
modifications below are made. Here's how to identify your current sound
scheme and how to restore it in the event of any mishaps.

*Identifying Your Current Sound Scheme
1. Go to the Start menu search box and enter the following: Change system
sounds.
2. You will land on the sound scheme you are currently using. Make a note of
this particular sound scheme.

*Restoring a Sound Scheme
1. If your sound scheme is changed by the steps in the tutorial below, go to
the Start menu search box and enter the following: Change system sounds.
2. You will land on a combo box consisting of all of the sound schemes on
your computer.
3. Arrow up or down to select your previous sound scheme.
4. This step is very important. Press Shift + Tab twice or until you get to
"Apply" and hit enter.
5. Press Shift + tab to Ok and hit enter.
the currently running sound scheme.

*To Configure the Windows Classic Theme

1. Press the windows key to open the Start menu search box, type the
following words and hit enter: Change the theme. Note: you can also simply
type the word Theme.
2. You will land directly on the Personalization dialogue box's Theme
Gallery.
3. Press down arrow until you get to an item called Windows7 Basic.
Right arrow to Windows Classic. Hit the enter key to execute the desired
change.
4. Wait a few seconds or until you hear an audio sound effect confirming the
completion of this process. I would wait another 2 minutes or so as your
computer is making lots of changes and you want to allow lots of time for
the process to complete.
5. To confirm the changes have been made correctly repeat steps 1 and 2.
When you land on the Theme Gallery make sure it is indeed set to Windows
Classic.
6. Press alt F4 to close the Personalization dialogue box.
LS

Take Care.
Mike
This email was sent from my iBarstool.