How do you know they are not image files? Sighted people ofen don't know the difference between images of text and text itself. If you have an OCR package, that may be able to handle converting the pdf into text or a readable Microsoft Word format. Or it's also possible that these documents are secured so as to prevent a screen-reader from accessing them. (However, that is another story.)

-----Original Message----- From: Shoshana Hathaway
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2015 8:17 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] trying to read PDF files from a Yahoo groups filesection

I am attempting, unsuccessfully, to read some PDF files added to a Yahoo
Group.  I know these are text files, not graphics, but when I open them in
Acrobat Reader (not sure which version I have, probably 11) I'm told it's an
empty document.  Am I not doing something right?  Alternatively, how can I
get it from my downloads folder into either notepad or MS word 2003?  I'm
using Windows 7, JAWS 14 Magic 12, and IE9. Any help would be greatlya Word format.
appreciated, thank you.

Shoshana