I press the jaws key and the page down key. It works for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Robert Moore
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 3:37 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] jaws 16 not reading number of unread messages

Phil.
I have the same set up.
 Try  turning on the jaws  cursor then   hold down the control key and hit
the end button. You might have to hit control home and then hit the control
end.
 It will give you the  total number in the folder and then tell you the
number of unread.
You have to listen carefully because it will give you the total number and
then say unread immediately which makes it   sound kind of like  54unread  5

  Instead of saying 55  5 unread
 Hope that makes sence
You can also use these key strokes while it is loading new messages.  It
will give you the progress  HTH -----Original Message-----