JAWS+F2
Press K until you hear Keyboard Manager
Press Enter
Press D until you hear default
Press Tab
press Ctrl+F
Press JAWS+F12
Press Enter

You are now focused on the "Say System Time" Key Assignment which is
currently JAWS+F12.

Press Ctrl+H
You hear "assign to"

You are now in an edit field where you can type a different key combination

Type what you want, such as your idea of Ctrl+W
Press Enter
Respond to the "are you sure" question
Alt+F4 to close the dialog.

This will also have changed the keystroke to check the date when pressed
twice quickly.

Try it out and see what happens.

If there is a conflict, I believe you will be warned by the dialog.

This Good luck, and make sure you first make a backup copy of all your user
settings files in case you mess things up completely.

Dave Carlson