Your computer may not have necessarily entered sleep mode when you tried to shut it down normally. Sometimes, as I have discovered on my Windows 7 desktop, when you shut down your computer, it will exit Window, but the power will not shut off. And because there is no sound coming through the speakers after the computer has exited Windows, you may think that it has shut down completely when in fact, the power is still on. This can happen occasionally when an open program prevents the computer from completing the normal shut down process. The only way to know for sure that your computer has shut down normally is to wait a minute or two after you have initiated a normal shut down, and if you can still hear or feel the internal cooling fan running, or if the tray for the DVD drive still opens and closes when you press the eject button, then the power is still on. If this is the case, try pressing Alt-F which will usually force any open programs to close so that the power can shut off. Of course, there will be no keyboard echo because there is no sound. If this doesn't work, then you need to press and hold the power button on the front panel to force the computer to completely shut down. It should not be necessary to unplug it.

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: anna vimini
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 11:42 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] sleep mmode in windows 8.1

The other day I shutdown my computer or at least I thought I did and
then when I went back to it the next day my sighted person said it was
on all night.
but when I turned the monitor and the speakers it was just a blank
screen and I could not get it to go into the windows so I unplugged
everything and then plugged it back in again and everything is working
fine now , so I must have put in in sleep mode by accident . so my
question is how do you get a windows 8.1 64 bit machine out of sleep mode ?
Thanks in advance