Tim and Kevin,

On my system, not only does YouTube volume diminish, sometimes it even goes
away completely. It often happens after an MS security update. getting at the
volume control on YouTube is tricky, but here are three methods that work with
IE11, though inconsistently.

1. The easiest is to change the volume on Accessible YouTube, which seems to
carry over to the volume on everyone's YouTube. Go to
http://www.povidi.com/yourtube/
Press alt-p for play, t hen up arrow to raise the volume in increments.

The other two methods might or might not work on the regular YouTube website:

2. To reach the player and volume controls, turn off the virtual cursor with
insert-z, then tab a couple of times . (Thanks to Mario and another lister for
this one.) In my case, I had to shift-tab twice. This method did not work the
last time I tried.

3. Again insert-z to turn off the virtual cursor, then tab down to "theater
mode." Then up arrow like crazy to raise the volume. (this method also didn't
work the last time I tried.)

I'm sorry that I can't give a definitive answer, but I can confirm that volume
is a real problem on YouTube and that player control accessibility is poor.
However, one of these methods ought to work. FYI, my system is Win7 64-bit, and
I've used these methods with JAWS 16 and 17, and probably also with 15. I can't
remember if I tried Firefox. I did try Chrome, but that browser created such
havoc on my system, as it does for a lot of people, that I uninstalled it.