Thanks, Mike - the message you forwarded gave a good summary.

The main problem I'm encountering is that of trying to work out what has
changed in places where the person editing the document has made a
modificaiton, with tracking enabled. For example, if someone has both inserted
and deleted text in a sentence, I wish to discover quickly what the original
was and what it changed to. This is obvious visually, apparently, but not with
a screen reader unless I'm overlooking something important.