Microsoft Outlook by default sends messages as HTML. You can also send them as
plain text or as Rich Text (I assume that's RTF format, but I haven't
investigated it, since HTML is what is now recommended and the Rich Text
option is obsolete).

I work in an environment where the features of Microsoft Outlook are used
extensively, especially the calendar integration, but also the HTML message
format.