Oracle bundles sneaky ‘Amazon Assistant’ browser extension with Java installer

by
Posts by James Risley
 on April 18, 2016 at 1:46 pm

amazon java offer
Oracle’s Java has long come with third-party sponsored offers that add toolbars to your browser and change the homepage to a partner’s site. It used to
be Ask.com’s toolbar that was installed, but last year
Ask.com was replaced with Yahoo,
which made its search engine the default for users who failed to uncheck a small box during the installation processes.

Now, Amazon is taking over that spot, bringing its own
extension
 and
search engine
 to your browser with every Java install, unless you opt out.

The exit of Yahoo from the installer is notable given the company’s ongoing business struggles. Given the large number of people who still need to download and update Java, the installer is a way for a third party to quickly add to its user base.

Amazon’s extension allows users to price match against Amazon options across the web. Its search engine is powered by Google, but emphasizes Amazon products
like IMDb, Goodreads and Amazon product pages.

It appears the new installation behavior
started in January,
but other than
an FAQ page
on Oracle’s site, neither company has announced the feature widely. We’ve reached out to Amazon and Oracle for comment and will update if we hear back.