I am exploring the possibility of using Jaxen in conjunction with dom4j.
The classes I am writing will be executed from within the context of an
application
server environment.

Our application will need to support JDK 1.3 and 1.2.2 as we intend
to support both Websphere 3.5.4 and Weblogic 5.10

I could not find any information on the jaxen.org site relatng to JDK
support.

However I have come across a runtime exception when using with
JDK 1.2.2. My application compiles with no problem, but I get the following
exception at runtime....

The WebLogic Server did not start up properly.
Exception raised: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
java.util.Collections: method
singletonList(Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/util/List; not found
        at org.jaxen.BaseXPath.getContext(BaseXPath.java:90)
        at org.jaxen.BaseXPath.selectNodes(BaseXPath.java:21)
        at org.dom4j.xpath.DefaultXPath.selectNodes(DefaultXPath.java:118)
        at org.dom4j.tree.AbstractNode.selectNodes(AbstractNode.java:163)
        at
com.vignette.vertical.fas.services.prototype.StartupConfigLoader.iterateClas
ses(Compiled Code)
        [the rest omitted for brevity]

My assumption is the problem relates to the use of singletonList convenience
methods
added to Collections framework in JDK 1.3 (see below). Is there any
possibility
of Jaxen working with the Collections framework in JDK 1.2.2?

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3.0/docs/guide/collections/changes3.html

thanks.

James Webb
Sr. Software Engineer