> Upon learning that //someelement does not guarantee the order that things
> come back in are document order, I have switched tacts and decided to try to
> handle it my self.  I was thinking about playing around with the position()
> function, but cannot get Jaxen to return the position of an element to me.
> I have tried
> //someelement[@id='S55']/position()  but that returns 0 in all cases

Sorting elements by their position within their parent node will not
guarantee document order in any case, so you will have to switch tactics
even further.

Imagine this:

<A>
  <X>
    <C>foo</C>
  </X>
  <X>
    <B>bar</B>
  </X>
</A>

and this path: "//B | //C"

Both the B and C element have position 1 with respect to their parent..
so you have to traverse the whole tree to establish document order
post-hoc. It's much cheaper to hack it into Jaxen, but I would protest
if it was turned on by default, because it ruins performance.

What I found worrying however, is that Jaxen doesn't throw an exception
with the path you tried :)

Christian