From: "Hallvard Tratteberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > OK lets say its specific to your model - its not part of XPath 1.0
>
> And I won't try to push it further either. It was a fun exercise though,
and
> it showed me that the jaxen/saxpath code is not difficult to work with.
> Tribute to the designers!

Thanks! I've really enjoyed this thread - you've shown us how we can achieve
object-style method invocation inside the XPath 1.0 standard! This is cool.

> > I think I'd rather leave this change for an XPath 2.0 version of Jaxen
(if
> > ever we do that). XPath can be confusing enough without us
> > merging together bits of different versions ;-)
>
> From a community point of view I guess you're right.

I think so. Though on the positive side if you do swizzle your XPath
expressions around to use global XPath functions - then at least your XPath
expressions are now valid XPath 1.0 and won't break in other tools etc. e.g.
some IDE may support validation of XPath 1.0 expressions one day.

> > > We should let the java method signature decide if the it should be
> called
> > > once for the whole node set or once for each node in the set. E.g. a
> > > function call like foo(a/b, 1) would call a method
> > > public static List foo(List, int) once for the whole set, while it
would
> call a method
> > > public Object foo(int) once for each node in the set and collect the
> > > results.
> >
> > Yes. You're able to create your own FunctionContext with whatever
> > Functions
> > you wish available with whatever semantics you choose. In this way both
> > models can easily be supported in a well defined manner.
>
> It seems almost all languages that interface with java has functionality
for
> dynamically finding and invoking java methods from a set of arguments.
There
> should really be one agreed upon and shared mechanism for all projects!

Yes, though each invocation often has its own semantics. Calling an XPath
function is quite different from calling a Java method via Method and
reflection. So I'm not sure what the shared mechanism would look like.

James