On Sat18 May 2002 13:14 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2002, James Strachan wrote:
> > This is an XPath 1.0 thing - its nothing Jaxen specific. In XPath the
> > expression
> >
> > /foo/bar
> >
> > means foo and bar are not in any namespace. Binding non-prefixes to some
> > namespace is an error.
>
> are you saying that Jaxen resolves a QName without prefix to the default
> (null prefix) namespace URI in regards to function names? otherwise why
> would it fail?

It's no namespace at all (null namespace URI), rather than the null _prefix_
namespace URI. XPath 1.0 has no analogue to the default namespace from the
XML Namespace spec.

> my interpretation of the spec is that unless the function QName has a
> prefix, no namespace prefix is resolved at all - the URI is always null,
> regardless of the default namespace of the input document.

I agree. XPath expressions are independent of the documents you will evaluate
them against. In particular, the namespace prefixes you use in XPath
expressions bear no relationship whatsoever to those in the instance
documents. Matches are defined in terms of the namespace _URIs_ and the local
names, not namespace prefixes.

Jan Dvorak