[Apologies if this appears twice - my email system has me under a few aliases
and the post
 one ended up awaiting moderation - but I'm in a real hurry!!]

 Hi guys - before I prepare an example I wonder if anyone knows what
 I'm doing wrong off the top off thier heads...

 I've got an XML file like this

 -----------------------------
 <?xml.....>
 <myns:items xmlns:myns="http://myworld.com/mypage";>

          <myns:item myattribute="1">
                   <myns:name>fred</myns:name>
          </myns:item>

          <myns:item>
                   <myns:name>john</myns:name>
          </myns:item>

 </myns:items>
 ------------------------------

 I'm using JDOM & Jaxen (latest downloads but I had the same problem with
 prior downloads)

 When I use Jaxen to get a nodelist using "//myns:item" it returns 2 nodes
 ok
 When I use  "//myns:item[@myattribute='1']" I get 1 node (fred) OK
 When I use  "//myns:item[not(@myattribute)]" I get 1 node (john) OK

 So far so good  .. (I'm setting the NameSpace context correctly on the
 java XPATH object and the URIs are the same as in the XML file otherwise
 the above examples wouldn't have worked I guess)

 BUT when I try anything Xpath like

 "//myns:item[mysn:name='fred']"

 OR

 "//myns:item[contains(mysn:name,'fred')]"

 OR even

 "//myns:item[contains(text(mysn:name),'fred')]"

 etc it seems to fail hopelessly. I can provide an example but that more
 or less sums it all up. Either I'm doing something really wrong (and I've
 spent hours looking at it) or Jaxen doesnt like namespacey stuff inside
 '[...]'. Which I doubt...

 Any one got any clues ???

 Cheers,