Hi,

Hey guys, think a minute.  What transaction isolation means is _other_
transactions can't see your work until you commit.  Of course _your_
transaction can see everything you've done.  If you're working with say the
oracle interactive interface and insert a record in a table, if you query
the table you can see it right away, you don't have to commit first.
_other_ people can't see it until you commit.  This has nothing to do with
xa or anything else.

[although there is a related issue with "tightly coupled" and "loosely
coupled" transaction branches in xa: loosely coupled means different
branches of the same transaction can't see each others work.  This should
only arise when several transaction managers are using the same global
transaction against the same resource, and the XAResources can't agree that
they are using the same resource.  Maybe this is what you guys are thinking
of, but this should only be a potential problem with distributed jboss]

I'm pretty sure someone else complained about this a couple of weeks ago,
although I can't find the reference - they  were modifying an entity, then
doing a finder method returning a collection including the "just modified"
bean, except they weren't seeing the modifications.

In my opinion, if this requirement was not present in ejb 1.1, is was a
serious requirements bug, encouraging logically inconsistent behaviour from
the container.

Thanks, Bill.

david jencks