On 24 Jul, Jason Dillon wrote:
>> Well, that depends on taste. When the JMS RA was written it was mean to
>> not be dependant on JBoss at all, but should be possible to use in any
>> App server. There was one (easy to fix dependancy then). Changes done
>> since then has tied it more closely to JBoss. I guess it would therefore
>> be ok to integrate it even more tightly.
>
> What changes make it JBoss specific?

Today there are two dependencys of jboss outside the ra package:

import org.jboss.jms.ConnectionFactoryHelper;
import org.jboss.jms.jndi.JMSProviderAdapter;

>> It is, however, questionable, if we then should really call it a J2EE
>> connector resource adapter any more, because if its not spec compliant
>> (i.e, working in any app server) it is no longer a J2EE connector
>> resource adapter.
>
> What is the spec sucks when it comes to logging?

Well, I guess you either skipp the spec or try to influence it to change
to the better.

>> Since J2EE Connector 2.0 will include support for asynchrounous calls
>> and the JMS spec and the connector spec will probably by integrating the
>> transactional stuff for JMS through the connector spec, I think It is
>> good to keep the JMS connector clean.
>
> Me too, but I can't handle a PrintWriter for a log destination =(

There are a couple of ways to do it:

1. You could perhaps say that a particular resource adapter uses log4j,
   and that that is part of the contract (actually I then think that the
   log4j lib should be part of the *.rar archive. I.e, one may base the
   logging in the adapter on loh4j.

2. This logging must also be made available to the PrintWriter (i.e, if
   the app server sets a prinwriter, the log4j has to log its output to
   that.

3. This means that it is up to the impl of the app server Connector part
   if it should really use the PrintWriter API to get logging from an
   adapter. It is then up to that to integrate the logging into JBoss.

4. A possible scenario (I guess) would be to introduce a JBoss specific
   API into the the contract between a JBoss aware adapter and the JBoss
   connector impl, so that it may check if the adapter support JBoss
   specific logging stuff.

//Peter

> --jason

Jobba hos oss: http://www.tim.se/weblab
Peter Antman             Technology in Media, Box 34105 100 26 Stockholm
Systems Architect        WWW: http://www.tim.se
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]        WWW: http://www.backsource.org
Phone: +46-(0)8-506 381 11 Mobile: 070-675 3942