On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Wei-ju Wu wrote:

> Hm, it is not the code that made me think of a complete
> rewrite, it's (IMHO) its non-existence of usability and
> user-friendliness which lies in its concept.
>
> Furthermore, the advanced options of EJB 2.0 and
> JBoss >= 2.4  are not supported.
>
> I think user interfaces should be developed more from the
> user perspective, not from the technical perspective, which
> is very difficult as this means using the tool over and over
> and rethinking the interface to optimize handling and workflow
> and is a different kind of challenge.

Maybe, you're right. But I think, you cannot hide complexity! People have
to understand, what they do. What you provide in a deployment descriptor
is a highly compact meta description. Every bit of information has impact
on wether the component will work or not. Beside user friendlyness,
there's nothing, a tool can do for you.

We could enrich the user-friendlyness by simply providing defaults,
whereever possible. This is especially helpful for cmp entity beans.

It might also be a good deal, if we replace reflection by parsing the
class files. This would result in getting no ClassNotFoundExceptions and
NoClassDefFoundErrors anymore.

We could also add some wizards for assembly of new components. Perhaps
some more integrity checks.

I've tried to work with WAS 3.5 and 4.0 (I had to!). The GUI looks nice
but IMHO, it's also not usable for development. Maybe it's helpful for
administrators ..

But, that's just MHO. If everybody thinks, we should have a completely new
GUI .. I don't mind. Just do it.

Holger