When it comes to the outer joins I would be vary careful if not try to
avoid them altogether. The SQL spec is washy at best and I believe that
each vendor does it a little differntly , PostgeSQL only added outer
joins  in version 7.1.

The IS EMPTY cluase ... after reading the spec are they assuming that
you are checking if an obects collect is empty or are you looking for
all ojects that empty collections? Either way I would look at the exists
clause.