> On 2001.09.10 15:39:58 -0400 Scott M Stark wrote:
> > For the jbossmq-service.xml example, does reploying jbossmq-service.xml
> > cause
> > jboss-service.xml to be undeployed and redeployed?
>
> No, jboss-service.xml is not listed as a dependency of
jbossmq-service.xml.
But JBossMQ requires that a JNDI naming service be present, so how is that
dependency specified? Also in the future I want to make better use of the
JBossSX framework for authentication and authorization in other JBoss
services
to avoid the "passwords spread all over the place" configuration issue we
now
have so this is another future core service dependency.

> > Likewise, would just undeploying jbossmq-service.xml undeploy
> > jboss-service.xml?
>
> In the current situation, as just noted, no.  Hmmm. If it was listed, I
> think it would undeploy, which seems like a bad idea.
>
> What would be the desirable behavior in these scenarios?
>
> 1. B and C both depend on A. B and C are explicitly deployed, causing A to
> be recursively deployed.  B is undeployed.  What happens?
> - A remains deployed, since C is still depending on it. (good, I think)
> - A is undeployed, causing C to be undeployed. (bad, I think)

A should remain deployed.

> assuming A remains deployed, then undeploy C
> - A is now undeployed, since nothing depends on it and it was not
> explicitly deployed. (good, I think)
> - A remains deployed. (bad, I think)

Things are not this black and white. Just because I don't have any services
deployed that depend on A does not mean that it should be undeployed. The
naming service is a perfect example. Just because I don't have any services
deployed that depend on the naming service does not mean that I don't have
external clients using the naming service.

> 2. B depends on A. A and B are explicitly deployed. B is undeployed. No
> other packages depend on A.
> - A remaings deployed, since it was explicitly deployed (good, I think)
> - A is undeployed since nothing depends on it.(bad, I think)

A remains deployed, since it was explicitly deployed. This is the naming
service
example as it will be explictly deployed and many other services will depend
on it.