Time for my two cents...

I have just finished incorporating my scheme (the use of the depends
elements) with David J's and it seems to work for the simple examples I have
tested it on.  I am a bit unsure whether or not to commit the changes (after
more testing) though because the two schemes don't mesh particularly well in
the source.  Some odd behaviour would be possible if deployments attempt to
use both mechanisms at the same time.

In my opinion some of the problems or discussion points that are coming up
in this thread are because the "recursive deployment" model is not always
suitable, when all you want to do is specify a simple dependency.  The
naming service (JNDI) is a classic example, where many of the other services
need this service to be started before they will successfully start but it
is easy to deploy on its own.

The recursive deployment mechanism I feel is excellent for deploying and
undeploying applications that are spread across multiple sar's and comprise
multiple mbean services.  I don't think it is so effective at specifying
simple dependencies between services, especially the core ones that exist
during the startup process.

David