No I haven't and I see now what you mean, I didn't read what you put
carefully enough.  Still you might be able to do it this way, IIRC we used
to distribute javac in a javac.jar that was distributed with JBoss to
different platforms and it seemed to work OK.

I thought the only reason we weren't distributing tools.jar in the same way
is because of licensing issues with Sun.

That of course brings up a problem with 1) you can't distribute any package
you create that contains tools.jar (I think).

Perhaps the easiest thing to do for the Jetty dist is to reference tools.jar
as if it exists in the lib/ext dir and simply include a README telling
people what is going on, then they can supply their own (platform specific
if neccessary) jar.

David