I'm preparing a patch (my humble contribution, snif!) for run.bat/run.jar.
It includes:

1.- Support for tools.jar 'a la' Tomcat: you should define a JAVA_HOME
environment variable that points to your java instalation directory. It
checks if tools.jar is where it should. If not, it doesn't let you start
JBoss.
2.- Moves all the JAXP env variables into run.jar, cleaning the bat file.
3.- Document into run.bat a bit what's happening.
4.- Include commented lines to start jboss in debug mode (JPDA), both by
socket and by shared memory. There are docs out there about how to connect
to an already started app. I use this one a lot.

Ignacio.