On Monday 26 November 2001 19:08, danch wrote:
> Peter Levart wrote:
> > What about using finder methods like in BMP EBs? The responsibility of a
> > BMP finder method is to return a Collection of primary keys. That's easy
> > to do with JDBC/SQL. There would only have to be a way to apply BMP
> > finders to CMP beans and we'll have dynamic SQL already.
> >
> > Currently I'm using JDBC/SQL to retrieve primary keys and then a loop of
> > findByPrimaryKey() for each key to obtain Local interfaces and it takes
> > about 1-2 seconds per 30 objects. The abovementioned BMP finders would
> > speed things up considerably since it would only take one invocation...
>
> That may still takes n+1 DB hits - remember that the BMP finder returns
> a set of keys - beyond that you're OK if the bean is already in cache
> (commit option A). If you're doing all this from a session bean (in
> transaction) it shouldn't be any faster with a BMP finder than what
> you're doing. Unless I'm missing something big.

DB hits are one thing. I don't know if read-ahead option in JBossCMP is used
for anything else than relations, but it would be a great idea to apply this
to finders also.

The other thing are invocations. Even if I use Local interfaces to call a
bean from an already established transaction context, the invocations have to
pass all the interceptors, etc. I was hoping that building the Local
interface from the primary key does not have to hit the DB until some
accessors in the Local interface are called, so building a lot of local
interfaces should be cheap if it is done during one invocation (a call to
finder method).

Peter