On 2001.11.27 15:55:06 -0500 David Budworth wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's actually legal for JMS topics/queues to have
> structure?
>
> I was making the change for binding subcontexts automatically (using
> org.jboss.naming.Util).  And it deploys fine.
>
> But, if I kill jboss and restart it (without my sar that defines the
> queue in deploy), it throws exceptions because it finds a directory in
> the db/messaging/QUEUE.mycompany/myqueue
>
> The queue was "mycompany/myqueue", which was created correctly as
> db/messaging/QUEUE.mycompany/myqueue/
>
> I can only assume that the queue restoration only looks one level deep.
> And attempts to restore a queue (even though the queue is not in any DD
> anymore)
>
> I'm just trying to understand what all should be fixed.
>
> So, questions of the day are :
>
> 1) Can a queuename have depth?
> 2) Should all queues be restored at jboss startup regardless of if they
> are needed anymore?
> 2a)  Or when the MBEAN descriptor is located?

The startup is in 2 phases.  When the pm is started, it "pre-restores" all
the queues it can find, figures out which messages weren't committed (btw
I'm not convinced it handles "prepared but not committed" properly), and
makes lists of undelivered messages.  Then when each queue starts, it
registers with the pm and gets its list of messages.  For topics, if I
remember correctly, the queue representing the topic asks the StateManager
for all the subscriber queues and restores each one individually.

In regards to (2), there is no way to tell if a queue is needed anymore.
The mbeans for the queues are not necessarily in the same file as the mbean
for the pm, and could be deployed hours or days later.  On the other hand,
the cleanup of uncommitted messages should happen as soon as the pm is
started, so you don't need to keep dead data around indefinitely.

david jencks