Jack

I think your problem is slightly out-of-date READMEs :-)

If you go to [your jboss install dir]/jboss/conf/jetty directory you
will find a file called jetty.xml that configures Jetty's startup
with JBoss. You will find that the lines controlling the start of
the demo have been commented out. Look for the following lines:

   <!-- Uncomment this to add the Jetty demo webapp and demo servlets
      These are commented out because they may clash with webapps that
      you may wish to deploy - particularly in the '/' context...

Then uncomment from there until just before the end of the file,
restart jboss/jetty and you should be able to access the demo.

Well, at least it works for me! :-)

Jan