The J2EE 1.3 spec (8.1.1.2) goes into several examples of how nested
ejb-jar's and war's should share classes, and it is all based on Class-Path
Manifest entries.  Technically, per spec, nested archives should never share
Classpath's unless there is a Class-Path META-INF entry (i.e. web archives
should not, by default, be able to see ejb-jar files within the same ear
archive).

JBoss takes a more conservative approach, and gives each deployment access
to each other's information.  This sacrifices archive interoperability for
ease of use.

The patch I put forward took a middle of the road approach - only those
archives specified in application.xml are deployed, but they can all access
each others data without Class-Path entries.  I like being able to limit the
deployments by commenting out portions of my application.xml.  I use this
all the time when testing within an exploded archive - it allows me to
isolate one portion of development.

Personally, I don't like the "deploy everything" philosophy.  It just seems
sloppy to me.  I don't like it within sars, rars, or anything else.  There
should be a single, definitive, user-specified list of exactly what should
be deployed, and when.  The idea of: "search through every single file
within an archive, and check to see if it is deployable" leads to hacks like
the one currently in MainDeployer: "... unless it is a war file, then let
the war deployer figure it out".

-Larry

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=544848&group_id=