From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Juha-P Lindfors
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 6:36 AM
To: JBoss-dev
Subject: Re: [JBoss-dev] Re: [JBoss-user] JBoss in a multi developers
environment

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> [I moved this to the dev list]
>
> I think the real power of JMX is you can have disparate components that
> can all talk to a central object without becoming tightly coupled.
>
> Here is my idea:
>
> We have an optional port server MBean.  Before a service opens a port it
> checks for the existence of the port server, and if (and only if) it
> exists, it asks the port server for a port passing the service name and
> port name (both are just any string).  If the port service doesn't
> exist, it follows the default code.
>
> This would require that the MBean wrappers for any serveice that opens a
> port to follow know about the possibility of a port service, but I don't
> think that is a big deal. Most MBeans already know about many services.

another possibility would be to persist these attributes containing port
numbers to a single location, e.g. config/ports.properties where all ports
would be in a single file.

This would not require the MBean developers to change their coding in any
way (Jules point about simple contracts) but would just require us to
config the initial server setup for the MBeans in question to use the same
location for these attributes. New user MBeans could also be configured to
use the same storage. Same approach would work for other system resources
as well (whatever they might be) without having to impose yet another
contractual requirement for MBean developers.

However, this requires that we convert to using persistent mbeans, which
is a more long term project. Short term your solution is the easier fix.

my .02

-- Juha