I agree we are beyond the spec here. Queue Marc's dance :-)

I think we should still support MLets. I need to figure out a
mechanism for registering URLClassLoaders in a Unified repository,
probably some form of delegation.

The rest is easy.
We reserve add/removeClassLoader() for use by the MBeanServer/registry
which noops for a UnifiedClassLoader.
Then use add/removeUnifiedClassLoader() for the external management.

Regards,
Adrian