jboss tm -- fast.  Does not handle distributed (multiple jboss instances)
tx.  Does not do tx logging, so automated recovery is not really possible.

tyrex tm -- does handle distributed tx and logging.

both will handle xa transactions with many participants where there is only
one tm instance and nothing crashes.

If you need distributed tx (several cooperating tm) or automatic recovery
use tyrex.

The "distributed" part is nearly done in jboss 4 for the jboss tm: as part
of the jca 1.5 support there is a tx import facility.  We just need an
invoker that has an XAResource in the client half and uses the Work
interfaces in the server half.

AFAIK no one is working on the logging part, but I don't see why it should
be hard.

With logging in place I would expect automatic recovery to be fairly simple
also but I haven't thought about it much.

david jencks