Yup! 'Web Services' is just RPC running on an inefficient transport
protocol running on an inefficient link protocol, with no mechanism
for credential or transaction propogation, and 'best effort' levels of
QOS. Oh, by the way - Web Services also exposes a lot of the detail of
the protocol to the programmer, just to really piss off the people who
though writing then compiling IDL was a pain in the ass. Now, of
course, you get to choose between compiling or generating the IDL,
which is so chock full of fun little XML quirks as to be unreadable by
normal humans anyway.

Bah!

The more that things change, the more they get worse.

-danch