On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Matt Munz wrote:

> Juha,
>
> > what you need to persist from the registry is the information to
> > recreate the mbeans
>
> OK. Great.  Sorry for the confusion.  I think this information is
> essentially the MBeanInfo, the object name, and possibly, a dependency
> indicator (MB foo must be loaded after MB foobar).

all of mbeaninfo should not be always stored. for instance, if I
instantiate my MMB by using a definition from an URL or db then the
mbeaninfo is already persisted there and should not be duplicated (only
the ref to where to locate it is needed). This is to avoid the confusion
to users where an mbean seems to be stored in two different locations (we
already had this problem with 2.0). If on the other hand you created the
mbean info at runtime then obviously you need to persist it.

The only changing part in the metadata should be the descriptor which
should be persisted regardless of how the mbeaninfo was loaded to the
runtime system in the first place. So a simple key, value map or a
property file even. The rest of the metadata should remain unchanged
during the lifetime of the MBean.

> Could you clarify the following from P. 87 of the spec?

how an mbean is persisted is really not defined in the spec.

> If "the MBean" is (MB info + state), then this clearly states that the
> *entire* MB is written.  It is not specified how it is written (overwrite or
> write diff).  I aggree that this does not make sense

if the assumption doesn't make sense, and we both agree it doesn't make
sense, then concentrate on the part that *does* make sense ;-)

> Well, I'm very interested.  The work I do is spec-friendly.  An important
> selling point for us with JBoss is flexibility via spec compliance.  Since I
> see persistence as an invaluable feature for JMX, having it be a full
> fledged aspect of the spec is important for me.  Perhaps if JBoss does it
> right, it will make its way into the spec eventually :)

perhaps

-- Juha