CVS can't handle thirdparty only including some of the subdirectories.  On
checkout you get one set of stuff, if you update you get much more.  Jason
was trying to make the set of stuff you get from checkout and update the
same.  I think its really important to ensure this, whether or not Jason's
fix is the best possible.  I think fixing it (at least in head) is more
important than keeping the directory structure the same.  If you have a way
to fix the problem while keeping the structure the same, I think that would
be better.  I don't have such a way.

thanks
david jencks