Hi,
have any one of you looked at XmlBlaster? (www.xmlBlaster.org).

I guess it could really work as a central XmlRepository. XmlBlaster is
an XML based MOM. You publish your XML to it and it will save it in an
Xml DOM tree, even persist it a RDMB or Xincice.

You can then subscribe to event with an XPath expression (or do a
synchronous get (with an XPath).

Ok. You can not just subsribe to one element, thats true, but you can
subscribe on a "domain" or "config", say MyMessageDrivenBean and get any
update notifications for that XML config. Or you could do a
get(//x/y/port) (pseudocode!) and get all configs wich contains that
element. There are a lot more to XmlBlaster (I have done the JBoss
integration thats currently is available in XmlBlaster ;.))

Well, just a thought.

//Peter

On 13 Nov, Bill Burke wrote:
> 1. I'm not talking about a central config file...Components register their
> XML with this service.  MBean, EJB, whatever...
>
> 2. You know what XPATHs are right?  If not, look them up.  They are really
> cool.  Xerces/Xalan (forget which) support looking up Elements via XPATHS.
> What's not supported, which we would have to write, would be the ability to
> register for change notifications via an XPATH.
>
> Other ideas:
> - A redeployed bean, updates the Centralized (in-memory) Xerces XML Doc.
> Services/components registered as listening for changes, recieve
> notification.
>
> - JMX console needs an additional XML editor for MBean attributes that are
> XML elements.
>
> - This sort of centralized service allows you to query, via XPATHS, for all
> components that have a "port" attribute for instance.  Allows you to do
> global things on configuration when you don't know the actual components
> that have that type of attribute
>
> Another thing about configuration I wanted to have is the concept of
> Configuration Domains.  A component would get configuration by searching a
> set of chained configuration domains.
>
> invocation domain->instance domain->component domain->app server
> domain->cluster domain etc...
>
> So, when a component needs config information, it looks it up via the chain.
> Any domain in the chain can override a config value.  As the chain is
> traversed, if the config info is not there, it searches farther up the
> chain.
>
> This would allow us to have a layered way of obtaining default config
> information, or overriding existing configuration at different levels at
> different times.
>
> Bill

Peter Antman    Chief Technology Officer, Development
Technology in Media, Box 34105 100 26 Stockholm
WWW: http://www.tim.se  WWW: http://www.backsource.org
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: +46-(0)8-506 381 11 Mobile: +46-(0)704 20 58 11