In my experience, shutdown hooks don't work reliably on *any* version of unix.

I was building a command line driven server style of app in java about a year ago and discovered this.

Tried it on MacOS X (first), and then thinking it was just the Mac, tried it on solaris (the deployment platform), and it did not work there either. So then I tried linux and HP-UX - no luck there either.

I suspect it's an artifact of the limitations on what you can do with unix signal handlers. There is generally only a limited subset of system calls that they can make.

Steve C.