The key phrase in the US code governing this is "a
work prepared by an employee within the scope of his
or her employment", and the determining case at the
federal level is CCNV v. Reid. From
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/cybrscen.htm:

"The Court emphasized that state laws of agency govern
whether one is an employee... In determining whether a
work is within the scope of employment, the courts
will focus on whether the employee was hired to do the
kind of work in question or how closely related it is
to the employee’s primary job responsibilities;
whether the employee created the work substantially on
the company’s time and using its facilities; and
whether the motivation to create the work was at least
in part, to serve the employer, including serving
fellow employees’ or the employer’s customers’ needs."

Note the sentence "whether the employee was hired to
do the kind of work in question or how closely related
it is to the employee’s primary job responsibilities,"
and note also that it is state laws of agency which
determine the "employee" and "scope of employment"
status. As Dain said, it's something that varies state
to state and is complex enough that just saying "but I
did it at home" isn't enough. Do you ever do work at
home for the employer? Were you hired by the employer
to do the same type of work?

My message was just meant as a word of caution.
Whenever I'm hired as an employee, I try to advise
them of the work I occasionally do on Open Source
software, and if possible get a written agreement that
they will eschew any copyright claim for work I do on
my own time & equipment. Needless to say, they are
almost never willing to do that, and what I usually
end up with is a verbal agreement to that on
principle, and then I'm careful not to work on any
open source stuff that's too similar to what I do at
work.

Dave