I don't want to steal too much of Marc's thunder on this (he has a great
vision for JBoss 4), but one of the goals of JBoss 4 is to make it so
developers don't have to deal with all the J2EE APIs (which honestly add a
lot of overhead in development time as well as training/study time to learn
it all).

For example, with EJBs, you have the remote, home, and implementation to
keep up with.  With JBoss 4, you would be able to write a POJO with all you
business logic and plug-in (via configuration) all the extra pieces you want
(remoting, persistence, caching, transaction, security, etc.).  This makes
the process much easier for you, the developer, since you won't have to
worry about all the extra code (which usually ends up being 25% business
logic and the rest infrastructure when you look at lines of code).  Only
extra effort required is to configure the extra services you want (which
will take much less time than coding it).

Of course, if you decide to migrate to another application server, you'll
have write all the extra infrastructure code yourself to make it fully J2EE
compatible.  Even if for some reason you decide you want to pay for an
application server where you don't have access to the source, this would
probably be a good way to start a development project, since the business
logic will be the core of your product.

As from a corporate perspective, JBoss, in general, makes sense over other
application servers.  The two major reasons are both the source and the
runtime are free.  So the only question would be does it work well
(functionality, performance, scalability) and can I get support for it?  The
first one is somewhat a matter of opinion, but I think it has proven itself
in production. Support is available for a fee (but you're getting the guys
that actually wrote it, so you know they know what they are doing).  If
JBoss does ever change its direction, you'll still have the source so you
could still maintain what you needed.  If you bought an app. server from a
company that changes direction, then you would end up having to pay again
for some other company's app. server to get what you want (so you're out you
initial investment, plus it might happen again and you have not other course
of action without source).

I personally feel that the only real reason for paying for an application
server is if it allows you to get a price break on some other part of a
package deal (i.e. hardware).  Then you have to decide if you're getting
enough savings on the hardware to offset the price of the software.

Of course, this is just my opinion, but would love to hear exactly why
companies would want to pay for an application server.

-Tom