J2EE is our bread and butter.  Its why most people initially come to JBoss.
We will continue to follow the specs religiously.

AOP + EJB:

For JB4, the average every-day J2EE developer won't notice anything.  But,
implementing EJB in terms of the AOP framework will greatly enhance the
abilities of ISV's, system integrators, and third-party tool vendors to
tightly integrate with JBoss.

How?

1) The JBoss 3.x series has some limitations in regard to interceptor chains
and configuration.  Sure, you can add new interceptors easily to container
configurations, but, if you want to add any time of configuration, you have
to modify JBoss code.  AOP will provide a pluggable mechanism for those who
want to extend JBoss configuration.  Basically, interceptors and their
configuration will be formalized into a packaged format.  You'll be able to
deploy extensions to the EJB framework in much the same way you deploy a
SAR, WAR, EAR, RAR, etc....

2) The AOP framework will also give third-party integrators the ability to
actually expand the EJB API.  For instance, if a distributed caching vendor
wanted to provide a Caching API to every EJB deployed they could easily do
it as a deployed package.  Users will be able to use these new API's simply
by typecasting:

{
   MyEJB ejb = home.create();
   CacheAPI cachedObj = (CacheAPI)ejb;
   cachedObj.flushCache();
}

3) In JB4, metadata/configuration will be resolved through the context of
the Invocation enabling interceptors to override existing configuration on
one side, or to provide default configuration values cross-cluster.

IMHO, these features alone will make JBoss the preferred platform for ISV
integration since they will so easily, completely, and tightly be able to
integrate their products with all aspects of JBoss.

New AOP Services:  Beyond J2EE

Now for beyond J2EE, we're also doing some very cool things.  IMO, Aspect
Oriented Programming is the next big wave on par of what OOP did to
functional programming.  One of our main goals is to totally isolate
infrastructure from business logic by providing system-level aspects for:
security, transaction demarcation, caching, ACIDity, remoteness, clustering,
and persistence.  This means you can write plain old Java classes and either
statically or dynamically apply these types of aspects making your business
logic totally INDEPENDENT of any system level API's.  This is a grand
departure from following specifications like CORBA or J2EE in that these
standards create specification lock-in.

AOP gives us other advantages as well by being able to dynamically attach
behavior to any type of object at runtime.  Need to dynamically monitor a
specific object for debugging purposes?  Deploy and aspect at runtime.  Need
to expand the scope of a system-level aspect?  Write your own interceptor.
Need to apply your own system-wide proprietary API?  AOP will provide you
with the hooks.

Our new AOP framework and services, also, IMHO, take you beyond J2EE where
J2EE fails or is inflexible.  For instance, the J2EE specification really
has no concrete concept or definition of caching or ACIDity.

Conclusion:

We are strictly adhering to the new J2EE 1.4 and EJB 2.1 specifications.
J2EE is a fine and good specification and JBoss will remain J2EE compliant.
The new AOP framework will allow JBoss extension writers better and tighter
integration with EJB and the rest of the JBoss core.  The AOP framework and
AOP services will take developers beyond J2EE to simplify application
development and provide services where J2EE leaves off.  Development with
JBoss AOP finally allows business logic to be totally INDEPENDENT of
system-level infrastructure.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Bill Burke