David Klimek wrote:

Hi Sacha,

thank you very much for your comments. Now I believe I have quite clean picture of partition merge issues.

Maybe the conditions and limitations you mentioned should be added to documentation as they are not obvious and there can be a lot of people living, as I did before, in paradise, where all the mess with state merging, is handled by clustering framework.

Maybe we should come up with a conflict resolution policy, similar to the failover policy: the policy is user-defined and - whenever there is a merge - it is called with all substates. At this point it needs to implement the merge and update the local copy.

For the state service we could for instance provide a simple default policy which applies the union of all states and sees this as the new state. The only requirement for such a policy is that it is deterministic.

--
Bela Ban
www.javagroups.com