Bugs item #576913, was opened at 2002-07-03 15:07
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by sflexus
You can respond by visiting: 
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=576913&group_id=22866

Category: JBossServer
Group: v3.0 Rabbit Hole
Status: Open
Resolution: None
Priority: 5
Submitted By: Georg Schmid (giorgio42)
Assigned to: Scott M Stark (starksm)
Summary: OutOfMemory after redeploys

Initial Comment:

JBoss3.0.1RC1 (zip file from sf), Solaris8, JDK 1.3.1_01

After deploying the same ejb jar file about 30 times I got
an OutOfMemory exception from the JVM.

The package contains about 30 EJBs (entity and 
SLSBs) and is 450 K in size.

The exception happened during the start of the 
redeployment.

Regression?

Georg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Alexei Yudichev (sflexus)
Date: 2004-09-07 18:52

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=345880

This is how I reproduce it on my Windows system, step by 
step:

1) Download JBoss 3.2.5 sources, build a distribution 
(SRC_HOME/build/build.bat) and assume 
JBOSS_HOME=SRC_HOME/build/output/jboss-3.2.5

2) Execute build.bat build testsuite module (testsuite/build.
bat), copy SRC_HOME/testsuite/output/lib/jbosstest-web.ear 
to JBOSS_HOME/server/all/deploy

3) change JBOSS_HOME/bin/run.bat to specify -Xmx40m in 
JVM parameters (just no to wait long). I also included -Xloggc:
c:/temp/jboss-gc.log to monitor memory

4) start JBoss

5) execute the following ant script, changing jboss.home 
accordingly:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<project name="JBossOOMGenerator" default="redeploy-
endlessly">
  <property name="jboss.home" value="C:/temp/4/jboss-3.2.
5"/>
  <property name="deployment.url" value="${jboss.home}/
server/all/deploy/jbosstest-web.ear"/>
  <path id="jmx.task.classpath">
    <pathelement location="${jboss.home}/client/jbossall-
client.jar"/>
    <pathelement location="${jboss.home}/docs/examples/jmx/
jbossjmx-ant.jar"/>
  </path>
  <target name="redeploy-endlessly">
    <taskdef name="jmx" classname="org.jboss.ant.JMX" 
classpathref="jmx.task.classpath"/>
    <antcall target="loop"/>
  </target>
  <target name="loop">
    <jmx adapterName="jmx/rmi/RMIAdaptor">
      <propertyeditor type="java.net.URL" editor="org.jboss.util.
propertyeditor.URLEditor"/>
      <invoke target="jboss.system:service=MainDeployer" 
operation="redeploy">
        <parameter type="java.net.URL" arg="${deployment.url}
"/>
      </invoke>
    </jmx>
    <antcall target="loop2"/>
  </target>
  <target name="loop2">
    <antcall target="loop"/>
  </target>
</project>

In approx. 30 minutes (on my P4 2.4GHz) I get 
OutOfMemoryError in JBoss JVM. I believe if I set the -Xmx to 
around 35m I would get it much sooner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: IM (imaniuk)
Date: 2003-12-03 22:13

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=923195

We are also experiencing this problem in 3.2.1 and 3.2.2. As a 
part of our solution we need to redeploy an ear file quite 
often and having to restart the server does not seem to be a 
nice fix. The memory leak occurs even if I remove all entries 
from application.xml. Nothing is being deployed, but the 
memory foot-print keeps growing... 
There seems to be two memory leaks: when runnig on Linux 
the top app reports SIZE and SHARE to grow with every 
redeploy.  
BTW, as a way to reproduce the problem I was redeploying 
web-console.war and that also resulted in momory usage 
growing, although at a much slower pace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: David Corbin (dcorbin)
Date: 2003-10-30 17:09

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=1805

I have this too, with a simple .WAR file (not an EJB in
site) :)  I lose 30-40M of RAM per deployment cycle.  (doing
repeated deploy/undeploys, with no actual web requests) 
However, if I change our init code to do &quot;nothing&quot;, I  still
lose memory, but more like 1-2M.  

I think that the entire webapp is still hanging around in
memory, and never being subject to garbage collection, which
leads me to believe somebody (in jboss) is holding on to a
servlet reference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: David Corbin (dcorbin)
Date: 2003-10-30 17:08

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=1805

I have this too, with a simple .WAR file (not an EJB in
site) :)  I lose 30-40M of RAM per deployment cycle.  (doing
repeated deploy/undeploys, with no actual web requests) 
However, if I change our init code to do &quot;nothing&quot;, I  still
lose memory, but more like 1-2M.  

I think that the entire webapp is still hanging around in
memory, and never being subject to garbage collection, which
leads me to believe somebody (in jboss) is holding on to a
servlet reference.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Rod Burgett (rodburgett)
Date: 2003-08-21 22:58

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=681969

The number is correct, but it may be a bug # instead of 
patch.  Try selecting bugs in the search category and then 
entering that number...it worked for me.


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Tom D�hler (tom_doehler)
Date: 2003-08-20 17:19

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=618539

Is this #757856 the right patch id, I can't find it ??

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Rod Burgett (rodburgett)
Date: 2003-06-20 20:09

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=681969

I submitted a patch this morning, #757856, aimed at beefing 
up the cleanup method of DeploymentInfo.  It wasn't intended 
to address this particular EAR deployment issue, but it might 
help.


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Scott M Stark (starksm)
Date: 2003-06-20 19:46

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=175228

I'm working on the issue and there is no current workaround.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Eric Jain (ejain)
Date: 2003-06-20 19:18

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=474829

I can confirm this issue with JBoss 3.2.1 on Linux and Sun's 
Java 1.4.1. Loosing around 10MB of memory at every 
redeployment. The application consists of an ear with a 
nested war, jar and sar. Is anyone working on this issue, or 
is a workaround known (perhaps setting a scoped 
classloader)?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: Tim McCune (javajedi)
Date: 2003-03-28 21:22

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=62441

This is a duplicate of bug 435958, which is currently closed
but I requested it be reopened.  There is also some
discussion of it in the forums, which used to be available
at http://jboss.org/forums/thread.jsp?forum=121&amp;thread=27888
before the forums all went to hell this week.  I have had
this problem with every version of JBoss I've tried,
including 3.2RC4.  We have seen the problem manifest itself
on both Linux and Solaris, but interestingly, not on
Windows.  I talked to Scott Stark about this a couple days
ago, and he mentioned that he runs a leak test, but that he
normally runs it on Windows.  I suggested he try it on Linux
to at least recreate the problem.

As for 30 redeploys not being a problem, our ear file is 30
MB, so we run out of memory after about 6 redeploys.  Very
much a pain for us right now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment By: David Ward (dward2)
Date: 2003-03-27 16:03

Message:
Logged In: YES 
user_id=526282

We've actually seen this in all JBoss versions we've used
(2.4.x -&gt; 3.x).  Not that I don't want it fixed - I do - but
we've come to the conclusion that we *never* do a
hot-redploy &quot;30 times&quot; on a production server.  In
development maybe, but it's acceptable (at least for us) there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can respond by visiting: 
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=376685&aid=576913&group_id=22866


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by BEA Weblogic Workshop
FREE Java Enterprise J2EE developer tools!
Get your free copy of BEA WebLogic Workshop 8.1 today.
http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=5047&alloc_id=10808&op=click
_______________________________________________
JBoss-Development mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jboss-development

Reply via email to