"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote : Try doing some work on it then. A mail service support
IMAP is not a priority task.
Scott, first off Andrew asked for the "whining" requests from "pain in the ass users."
Your seemingly snippy reply to a legitimate request from a real or potential customer
seems counter-productive to your goals of attracting both customers and (perhaps more
importantly at this stage of the project) developers.

It seems to me that there is a significant chicken-and-egg problem here. I have to
imagine that there is real demand out there for an open-source alternative to
Exchange. A real alternative, including IMAP support (how can this not be a
priority??), but also calendaring, Outlook (i.e., MAPI) support, mobile device
support, etc. If a true F/OSS alternative to exchange existed, especially one that had
a strong support infrastructure and a viable company behind it (like JBoss, of
course), then I can't imagine that a significant corporate user base would not
develop--one that would be more than willing to pay for support and training. The M1
release, while a great start, cannot possibly go into any semblance of production in a
real organization. Thus, there won't be any real customers to create the feedback and
demands that seems to be required to stimulate support for continued development of
the project from within JBoss. Thus, the project may well be dead, which would be a tr!
 ue shame.

I had the pleasure of speaking pretty extensively with Marc yesterday. One of the
things I walked away with from this conversation was that for the Professional Open
Source model to work, especially if you are targeting enterprise customers with
infrastructure services, you have to have relatively mature products before you can
expect any real return on investment (to be "zero cash-flow" or "cash-flow positive"
or whatever term he used). Mail Services is simply not there yet. This is a classic
R&D investment conundrum. Are you willing to invest the time and capital necessary to
get the product to a point that it can get past the "try it out" phase to the "roll it
out" phase?

It seems the big problem here is lack of developer support, especially from the
outside community. James seems to have much the same problem. Perhaps the project
isn't sexy enough or developers don't see personal (or intrinsic) value in
contributing to this particular project. It would seem necessary to do one or both of
the following: a) invest in the necessary "professional developer" time to get this
thing ready for prime-time, or b) put forth a significant marketing effort to
attract/incent outside (amateur) developers to participate. Lacking either of these,
it seems unlikely that this project can succeed. Andrew indicates that (a) is not
happening at present. Assuming this is the case and things won't change internally at
JBoss (I would argue perhaps that they should, but won't here), it seems like some
effort towards (b) would be a relatively easy and cost-effective solution.

I might suggest a couple of things. First, you might consider posting a request for
developers on the home page--a "hot project" box or something to entice potential
contributors towards this project. Figure out some way to make this project seem sexy
and worth a hackers investment. Second, I would suggest taking the time to put
together some form of architectural overview at a low enough level that it is fairly
simple for a good developer to get started quickly (reducing barriers to entry in
economic terms). For my part, I downloaded the source and have been trying to figure
out how things are glued together. I've had little luck, thus far. I have no doubt
that given enough time, I could figure out how it all works, but that would require a
major investment of my time. For a relatively minor investment of Andrew's time, I
(and other potential contributors) could get quickly up to speed and contribute
meaningfully to the effort.

Hope this helps, or at least sparks some more debate on the subject.

Paul York, Ph.D. Student
Management Information Systems
University of Georgia

View the original post :