If you look at the Tomcat startup script, it has two different places it
uses to build to the environment classpath. Jars (only) are found in
{TOMCAT_HOME}/lib and are appended to the classpath individually using the
exact script fragment Tim suggested:

for i in ${TOMCAT_HOME}/lib/* ; do
  CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:$i
done

Classes (only) are found in {TOMCAT_HOME}/classes by appending to the
classpath:

# Backdoor classpath setting for development purposes when all classes
# are compiled into a /classes dir and are not yet jarred.
if [ -d ${TOMCAT_HOME}/classes ]; then
    CLASSPATH=${TOMCAT_HOME}/classes:${CLASSPATH}
fi

I haven't looked at run.sh, but unless it calls the Tomcat startup script,
these two script fragments will have to be added to it.

- Sean