See:

http://java.sun.com/products/plugin/1.3/docs/index.docs.html

        And in particular, the link to "Silent Installation".  You'd
probably have to gimmick a little to make this work, but I know you can
create a JAR for Netscape and a CAB for IE with the appropriate JS or INF
that will unpack some files and then run commands.  I've used this before
to install Java CABs/JARs on a client machine to save downloads.
        So you ought to be able to create an archive for each browser that
will unpack the plug-in installer and response file, then launch it in
silent mode.  Then all you have to do it add an initial page that will
detect whether you have the plugin, and either send you the installer or
the applet.

Aaron