On Fri, 20 Oct 2000, Dan Kearns wrote:
> IIRC, 50000 is the remote management port, and the instance you want is
> likely on 50001 (did you install an admin instance and one for your stuff?
> the install program make it a little confusing), but that is neither here
> nor there - if you are on the same machine and use the app driver you
> shouldn't need to care.
>
> Also check whether you are using the .app or .net driver. For the .net
> driver you need to remember to start the server for it - on windows it is
> called DB2 JDBC Applet Server - I think on unix it is something like
> db2jstrt or db2javastart or something like that. If you are using the .app
> driver instead (supposedly faster) you need to set up the cli client and get
> that working before the java bits will work - there's some deal with
> exporting bindings or something like that... the net driver should be much
> easier to get started with remotely, but locally the app driver should work
> as soon as you can get the command-line shell to work.

        Yes!  YES!  This is it!  I needed to run the "db2jstrt" program.
WHERE is that documented?  WHY isn't in mentioned in all the places they
talk about the .net driver?!?!?  Thank you!!!
        So now I've got both types of drivers working.

        Oh, and by the way...  Once you've started the "db2jstrt"
listener, what is the default port it listens on if you don't specify one,
and is there any way to stop it without just killing the process?  Some
simple documentation for this tool would not be entirely out of line!

> I've had it working on a single linux box, but haven't tried remote yet. It
> seems to work ok, except that if you use the jdbc2 drivers and try to store
> a cmp object field the db2 driver crashes and takes java with it (doesn't
> happen with the older drivers), also the non as400 versions don't like
> vargraphic.

        I have created a mapping which works with CMP objects.  It uses
SQL type BLOB(n), so you have to set n larger than your biggest object (I
defaulted it to 2000 bytes).  This will be in CVS in moments.

Thanks,
        Aaron