*blah blah*
> > 1) The reference to the new auth-module in
> conf\jboss.properties seems
> > strange:
> > (file: conf\jboss.properties)
> > <snip>
> > java.security.auth.login.config==../conf/auth.conf
> >
> > Why ../conf/...?
>
> .. because it is in ../conf?

That's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that! Seriously: jboss.properties is
placed in <guess what!> <JBOSS_HOME>\conf, the same directory as auth.conf.
Ehhmmm... now I see: if you load auth.conf relative user.dir
(<JBOSS_HOME>\bin) it has to be: ..\conf\auth. To conclude: I'm sorry for
bothering you with this!

> > 2) How do I specify different deploy directories (assuming
> that I don't want
> > to use the JMX web-interface for deployment)?
> > If I start two instances of jBoss they'll both scan the same deploy
> > directory. I think that the deploy directory should be
> configurable. (now
> > the second instance that tries to deploy a jar will fail
> because of the
> > hardcode 4444 ServerSocket issue...)
>
> The AutoDeployer constructor takes one argument. Modify the jboss.conf
> accordingly (you'll see what I mean if you look ;-)

I did a "find in files" for 'deploy' and it showed no results (or so I
thought...). d*rn Explorer crashes all the time. bill's fault? nah..
probably mine... I rest my case ;-)

> > 3) How do I specify different ports for jnp, assuming that I have my
> > configuration in a directory <JBOSS_HOME>\jx? I start jBoss
> with ..\jx
> > placed first in my classpath.
> > It seems like the jBoss code JNP first tries to load
> jnp.properties from the
> > conf directory.
>
> The naming provider MBean should be changed so that
> configuration is not
> done through jnp.properties.

Okie.

> > > Uhm.. this should probably be in the manual BTW 8-)
> > I agree... but first someone with write access to the CVS
> should fix the
> > issues outlined above;-)
>
> Hm.. what needs to be fixed? Are there issues with the above
> that aren't
> resolved as of this reply?

Someone will need to propagate the fixes to CVS. I'm happy with your
explanations:-)
(Here's a bonus issue: I also discovered a bug that corrupted jboss.jcml,
however I think the bug only manifested itself when I misused the
configuration & classpath settings...)

Thanks!
/Per