Hi!

>> Almost.  I worked on a production CORBA system with applet client
>> and custom server for intranets (1-5000 users, no tunneling or anything).
>> We did a trial conversion to RMI & EJBs, and found the performance of RMI
>> to be significantly better than CORBA, though that may be due to the fact
>
>As I understand, the idea of IIOP is to be Interoperable, not necessarily
>efficient to serialize in Java.  Apparently JRMP is quite a bit more
>efficient/fast than IIOP, and some third-party RMI protocols (WebSphere's,
>Orion's) are potentially even more efficient/fast.

Yeah. One of the most slow things in JRMP, or serialization in general, is
the class descriptors. JRMP does it "the right way" with version id's and
whatnot. It would be possible to make it simply send the name of the class
instead (i.e. more like Externalizable works), but then all these nice "you
have the wrong version" messages would go away, and instead we would get
mysterious errors sometimes because there was a mismatch in classes.

Overall JRMP is pretty ok, and when we get the asynch I/O stuff in JDK1.4,
wow, that will be *seriously cool*...

/Rickard