Kris Verlaenen [http://community.jboss.org/people/KrisVerlaenen] created the
discussion

"Re: What's the easy way to call native or external tools in jBPM5?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.jboss.org/message/588867#588867

Work items are indeed the recommended way to communicate with external
applications / tools (to avoid having to encode all this logic in script nodes
inside your process).  We have a work item implementation that might be useful,
it all depends on what communication channels the application you are trying to
invoke supports.

ExecWorkItemHandler allows you to call console commands using
org.apache.commons.exec

https://github.com/krisv/jbpm/tree/master/jbpm-workitems/src/main/java/org/jbpm/process/workitem/exec

https://github.com/krisv/jbpm/tree/master/jbpm-workitems/src/main/java/org/jbpm/process/workitem/exec

If this examples can be used out-of-the-box in your case, they should at least
give you an idea on how to setup integration with your services using a custom
handler.  I could for example see a similar ant work item that allows you to
call ant targets.  We're hoping to extend the set of supported work item
handlers for jBPM 5.1, with the help of the community  ;)

Kris