Jon,

Threads don't share hibernate caches on the same process instance.  If another
thread looks at the token, it's going to have fetched it independently from the
database.

The database is updated when the token reaches a wait state.

>> I'm still trying to understand what it means that the process executes in
>> the thread that signals the process instance.

Me too.  If subsequent actionhandlers do a signal or leaveNode, the execution
is recursive.  So in a loop with no wait states, each iteration grows the stack
(and everything it refers to on the heap).  This seems ugly, but I can't decide
how bad it is.  While a QA team would run into it quickly, I'm not sure it has
much real-world consequence.

-Ed Staub

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=4053715#4053715